Tuesday 15 March 2011

WORLD BOOK NIGHT



An amazing night has passed and it was called World Book Night. It was a giving of 1million books. But it was no ordinary book. It had been printed for free and been distributed for free for one purpose; giving people the enjoyment of reading.  In order to do this 20,000 people were required to become ‘book givers’. There were 25 books to choose from and on that list was one of my favourites; Fingersmith by Sarah Walters. But before I was given any books I had to apply to become a ‘book giver’. To be considered, a short paragraph of why I chose the book and who was going to receive the book had to be written. My answer was that I had done a lot of academic reading through university. It made it hard to read something just for the enjoyment of reading. I thought that this would be a great opportunity to get my friends who were in similar situation reading something great. But I didn’t want to stop there I wanted to give the book to people who had helped me along the way, the nurses at the Chemo clinic, the nurses at the doctors surgery and a few people I know who haven’t read a book in a while.

Each book contains a unique number which when registered into the World Book Night website can be traced to show where that particular book has travelled. The idea is to pass the book on once you have read it and registered it. Then the person who you have passed the book onto will hopefully do the same. Hopefully passing it on again and again will give more people the chance of reading a great book. So maybe in a years time, ten years time, the book could have circled the globe! Who knows where it could end up!

Here are just a few people I gave my books to:



HANA
LINDA
LINDA
HELENE
JAI
LOUISE 
THE PERTH ROAD GANG - NATASHA, ADAM, KATE AND HAYLEY
HOLLY

2 comments: